Illegal Creditor Harassment
Consumer Law Violations
Many debtors fall victim to persistent phone calls and degrading letters from their creditors. Sometimes this harassment crosses a line and becomes illegal.
- Have you been the victim of over-aggressive collection efforts?
At Molleur Law Offices, we are dedicated to protecting your rights and dignity. We want to help you ease both the financial and emotional stresses of unbearable debt.
Our practice is a strong proponent of consumer rights in Maine. We are willing to explore violations of various consumer protection laws, including but not limited to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and Maine Consumer Credit Code violations.
Prohibited Creditor Conduct
Regardless whether you have filed for bankruptcy, if you have been subject to any of the following conduct by either an original creditor or a debt collection agency, we want to hear from you:
- Repeated or continuous calls more than 4 times in a single day
- Calls at unusual times or times known by the caller to be inconvenient (for example, before 8:00 am, after 9:00 pm, or on holidays)
- Calls in which the caller did not disclose his or her identity or hung up when you answered
- Callers or letter writers threatening to sue you or “pursue legal actions or remedies” when the debt is more than 6 years old
- Callers or letter writers falsely representing that you owe the debt when a friend or family member opened the account
- Calls placed to friends or family members where the caller mentioned that you owe a debt
- Callers requesting post-dated checks
- Creditors or debt collectors falsely reporting information to your credit reports
- Letters in which the writer mentions that it is a debt collector on the envelope
Click for more complete list of illegal creditor conduct.
If you have been the victim of creditor harassment, regardless of bankruptcy protection, please call us to schedule an appointment today: (207) 283-3777. Together, we can make the harassment stop.
What our clients are saying
Dear molleurlaw, I was very impressed by Attorney Stark on NPR last week. We (in our home of 28 years) are victims of predatory practices by GMAC Mortgage. We were able to sign a contract for a modification under HAMP, but GMAC Mortgage continues to violate the contract (raising the monthly...
419 Alfred Street
465 Congress Street, Suite 302
95 Main Street
- 10/04/10 - Molleur Law's Efforts Lead to Halt in GMAC Foreclosures
- 03/19/09 - BAP Reverses Bankruptcy Court